What is Fair Share for Cambridge?
- Fair Share for Cambridge is a grass roots movement of concerned Cambridge residents and businesses who want to find solutions for homeless, drug addicted and mentally challenged people in our area that strikes a fair balance between the services provided in Cambridge and the services provided in other municipalities in our region.
What are our main concerns?
- We are concerned about the safety and security of Cambridge residents in our downtown core areas and surrounding neighbourhoods, school yards and community parks.
- Cambridge provides significant resources for homeless, drug addicted and mentally challenged people. We expect other municipalities in our region to bear their fair share of this responsibility.
What is our position on homelessness?
- Cambridge provides, and should continue to provide, a high level of social services and housing for the homeless of our community. We expect other municipalities in our region to bear their fair share of this responsibility.
What is our position on drug addiction?
- We believe that drug addiction is an illness, not a crime. Cambridge provides, and should continue to provide, a high level of social and health services for our residents suffering from drug addiction. We expect other municipalities in our region to bear their fair share of this responsibility.
What is your position on drug injection sites?
- We believe that if the evidence supports it, drug injection sites should be considered to fight the opioid crisis. Cambridge should do its fair share if and when other municipalities in the region commit to establishing their own drug injection sites.
What is your position on The Bridges?
- We support The Bridges and want to assist wherever possible. However, we want The Bridges to return to its original mandate of providing social services and temporary shelter for the homeless of our community.
What is your position on the Cambridge task force working on these challenges?
- We support the Cambridge task force and want to work with them; as a community resource that can provide ideas and feedback from a grassroots perspective.
What is your position on the role of regional government?
- We believe that a regional task force is needed to tackle what is clearly a regional challenge. We believe that our regional government should ensure that Cambridge contributes its fair share of services to the homeless, drug addicted and mentally challenged people in our community and that other municipalities in our region do the same.
How can I help?
- Show your support for the concerns and objectives of Fair Share for Cambridge by subscribing to our site. We will update you on activities and events.
- If you are a Cambridge organization or business and wish to endorse our efforts, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org We would be pleased to add your name and logo to our "Supporters" page.